Monday, October 31, 2011

The Smell of Money

My first memory of our family's move to Iowa:

When I was 8, we moved from a suburb of Detroit to Bettendorf, Iowa. Bettendorf is one of 4 cities which make up the Quad Cities along with Davenport, Rock Island and Moline. Bettendorf in the late 60's was the smallest by far.

We drove in the family car from Detroit to Bettendorf. I remember my dad pointing out when we crossed over the Mississippi River into Iowa. My sister and I were very excited to catch a glimpse until we realized how high up we were! About a mile further down the interstate, it hit us like a ton of bricks. I looked at my sister and she looked at me and at the same time we asked our father, "WHAT IS THAT SMELL?"

I can still see my father's amused look in the rearview mirror as he explained, "That is the smell of money in Iowa!" You see, we had passed our first pig farm in Iowa and pork is prince there! As we passed farm after farm on the short leg of the trip to our new home, my sister and I alternated turns at "Peeee-Uuuuu!" My father just kept driving with a very big grin on his face.

It was dark last Friday night when I crossed over Old Man River from Illinois. I caught myself cracking the car window just a bit. I had to be sure. Yep, I was in Iowa!

No comments:

Post a Comment