Friday, November 4, 2011

Ross's Restaurant

This week's final chapter of Iowa stories:

I was my dad's shadow while I lived at home. There wasn't a whole lot he did that I did help him with - from car repairs to home improvement projects I was always willing to find a needed tool or hold a piece of lumber just so. A lot of my dad time was spent in lumber yards and hardware stores.

I think Dad appreciated the help. He never told me so in words but my dad knew me and the things I liked and he often paid his helper. While we lived in Iowa, one of my favorite treats were Ross burgers. Ross's Restaurant still sits underneath I-74 right on the line between Bettendorf and Davenport. There was a hardware store my dad frequented in downtown Bettendorf and I never missed the chance to accompany Dad on trips to K&K Hardware - because Ross's was just down the road and if I played my cards just right, behaved and smiled just so at Dad......

Ross's specialty is steamed hamburger crumbled up in a warm bun. With a little ketchup, oh what a delight. Dad always slept in on Saturdays. With breakfast, shower and a shave, and a trip to the hardware for that weekend's project, well, if the stars were all in alignment, maybe ......"Dad, I am getting hungry. Is it almost lunch time?" We didn't go every trip to the hardware. My father was an expert at Pavlov's theory of the conditioned reflex. Intermittent reinforcement creates a strong reflex. Intermittent Ross burgers creates a more willing helper!

I also always loved coming home. Mom would ask "What do you two want for lunch?" Dad and I would try to act like we weren't real hungry but Mom always knew! "Did you two got to Ross's? David (uh oh - "David" is bad), she shouldn't be eating that stuff. Did you have french fries too?" To which I truthfully answered no. Serious situation under control! Inside I was smiling big because everybody knows you eat french fried onions with Ross burgers! Dad was a good parent though - he didn't usually indulge me in the chocolate milk I wanted!

So I still try to "sneak" in a Ross burger whenever I am in the Quad Cities. I also always tell my dad when I visit Ross's because if I don't, they just don't taste the same! Make sure you stop at Ross's if you are ever in the Quad Cities: 430 14th St, Bettendorf, IA. They also serve a killer bowl of chili!
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment