Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Champion? The why.

All the time I get questions when I tell co-workers I am headed off for a weekend dog show. Some times the reply is just a nod of the head and an "Okay." Sometimes I get grilled with questions. Here's my explanation of why I show my dogs in conformation.

Dogs at AKC conformation shows are judged individually by their breed against a breed standard. Every breed has a standard which defines the perfect dog and bitch of that breed. Structure, coat, head, gait, color, and even temperament are listed. Conformation is about breeding the most correct animal possible so all entries at a conformation show are unaltered. No spayed or neutered dogs are allowed.

Most people at a show will tell you that conformation is the juding of breeding stock. I am not all that interested in breeding but I show because I want verification that I have a conformationally correct dog. If my corgi is judged to be a champion, he or she is built to work. Corgis are, after all, a working breed. I have never had any really serious physical problems with my corgis while I compete in performance events and I want it to stay that way.

Conformation is also important to me in that my puppies get exposed to noisy places with lots of other dogs. I believe I am asking for behaviors any performance prospect should be able to handle at that age: walk on a leash, show minimal manners around other dogs, stand on a table while a stranger touches them, and concentrate on me when I have delicious treats! If a pup can't handle the conformation ring, there is no way he will progress well to an agility or obedience ring.

I have discovered that the two cardi's I have that finished their championships, Red and Panache, are very consistent in the ring. Nothing seems to grab their attention away from the task at hand - completeing the agility course. Red occassionally does like how close the judge approaches but he is exhibiting a breed quality mentioned in the Cardigan standard - "reserved with strangers." He is at the high end of "reserved" but I cannot fault him for being a Cardigan.

That is this performance person's explanation of why. The how is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment