Monday, March 7, 2011

It's a major!

Smoky and I ventured up to Milwaukee this past weekend with my friend Jean and her cardi Cricket for a conformation show. I was quite excited when the judging schedule came and I discovered it was a 4 point major for the boys. I went up with the mind set that I only wanted to win one day - kind of a "share the love" mentality. Most of the people showing are friends and are wonderful people so there is no good purpose to being overly competitive, right?

Well, Smoky got reserve Winners Dog on Saturday and I pouted! He is only 8 months old, in the youngest puppy class, wouldn't stand on the table and I pouted because I didn't win. Come on, Sue, get a life.

Sunday, when I opened up the car to get Smoky unloaded, I found him shaking like a leak. I almost freaked out myself but then I settled down. I had to for Smoky. I reminded myself that we had gotten to the show really early which is what I like to do. I studied the judge and how he ran his ring. I bought Smoky some more liver for bait and treated him to a doggy cupcake from a vendor. I told him we are going to have a good time at this dog showing stuff! I managed to convince myself and Smoky!

We were the first cardi in the ring and won our class - but we had done that the day before. When we went in for Winners Dog, Smoky showed like it was Westminster! He free stacked beautifully, he moved like a dream and I grinned like a fool when the judge pointed at us.

(Please don't notice I was holding his ribbons upside down!)

When it came for Best of Breed, Smoky decided he had had enough and pulled all the typical Cardi tricks. He snagged a huge hairball on the first go around the ring, and spent half the trip around trying to shake it out of his mouth. He then decided to leap over the tape which was holding down the mats in every corner of the ring. He also did not want any more liver, thank you very much! Is it any wonder he didn't get Best of Breed or Best of Winners?

So far, after 4 days of showing, Smoky has won twice and has 6 points including a major. Well on his way to the total of 15 needed to finish his championship. Way to go Smoky!

No comments:

Post a Comment